FIVE TIPS ON ILLUMINATING THE ABODE
Professionals know how important it is to have the appropriate type of lighting in a space. While most people only think about it at the end, it is one thing that can be used to improve the décor, taking the designs to the next level. It does not only bring out the mood of a place, it also works hand in hand with other aspect such as color and textures to achieve the overall look. In case you are wondering where to start, here are some tips.
- Think of the height of the ceiling- Keeping the height of your ceiling is crucial when picking out lighting because you do not want to end up with anything that is too high or too low. Most designers use the rule that the bottom of a light should hang twelve to twenty inches below a normal eight foot ceiling. For every extra foot, add three inches.
- Do your research- A lot of folks make the mistake of thinking that one type of lighting will be enough for a room. The truth is, for a proper design, this has to be done in layers, with the three most common types of light. These are ambient, accent and task lights.
- Bring in a lot of light- Depending on what the space is for, do not be afraid to use more than just downlights. Add in scones or uplighting, to create a much softer feel.
- Make a statement- If your abode has high ceilings and open floor plans, then use this space to be bold. Get a beautiful chandelier and hang it at the center, and you can be guaranteed of it being an eye catcher whenever people walk into the room.
- Pick out different lighting for each room- The ambience you want in the bedroom is probably not the one you want in the living room. Go for a combination of varied types and you’ll see how much difference it makes.
It might sound like too much of a task, but with help from our team of designers, you will be able to light up your home in no time.