HOW TO HYGGE
This Danish concept, pronounced as “hoo-ga”, is all about making your home feel cozy, and creating a space that is comfortable and relaxed. There are lots of ways through one can hygge their home, but the basics are making sure that there is an overall feeling of restfulness. Here are a few ideas that could guide you.
- Bring in candles- This is probably the easiest way to hygge as it adds warmth, especially if the space is small. Get ones that are subtly scented, and place them on a book case, or around the bath and prepare yourself for a relaxing time.
- Get new loungewear- Apart from the home being cozy, you need to be comfortable as well. Buy some new loose tops or a warm fleece robe that will make you feel good just sitting around in the house.
- Fireplace-Danish culture encourages socializing, and what better way to do it than around a fireplace. The good thing about this is that apart from warmth, it also provides additional light, which is also a key part in hygge décor.
- Think of your bedding- Because it is also minimalistic in nature, when it comes to the bedroom, think of a cozy bed, with a few layers of fresh bedding to make it warm. Sometimes it gets too warm, so go for light layers that can be removed until one is comfortable.
- Get lots of books- This will not only encourage you to read more, but it also adds to the décor as it makes the place feel more lived in. Having a bookshelf can also be decorative as it can be the one thing that stands out.
- A bit of vintage- Look for antique pieces or even family heirlooms and place them all over the home. These little objects will be a personalized way to décor, therefore adding to the homey feel.
Hygge is a pretty easy concept to come up with. However, if you need further assistance, reach out to our team of professionals.