WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE BECOMING AN INTERIOR DESIGNER
An interior designer’s work is to come up with spaces that are functional, safe, and most of all, appealing. They do this through the use of lighting, colors and lots of materials depending on the desired final look, and also on how the building has been planned. It may sound like an easy and fun task, getting to pick out fabrics and colors, but it is a serious profession just like any other, and so there are some things that one has to know before deciding to dive in.
- You should be passionate about it- For one to be a successful designer, they need to know and be interested in color, architecture, textiles and special arrangements as well. It is important to follow your passion, and if you find yourself drawn to the above, then you should probably give the job a try.
- Don’t think about the money- Research shows that the basic salary of someone who is just starting out in the industry is forty two thousand dollar per year. This is usually determined by a number of things such as the size of the company, work experience and also your level of education. The good thing is that with time and as you gain experience and exposure, you will be able to raise how much you charge.
- Portfolios are very important- You could have a wide knowledge of everything home décor, and even blow people away with how much you know and understand, but without pictures or a portfolio from which they can see your work, people are less likely to work with you. One good way to build this is to pick up some pro bono projects, or charge a little less.
- Be a people person- It is common knowledge that not everyone will be easy to work with, especially in the service industry. You could come across clients that are a breeze, while others could be a little difficult. A skill that will come in handy here is knowing how to deal with people, in a way that will make sure the client gets the best services while still considering their wants.
- Don’t impose your style- As you give them different designs to pick from, remember that at the end of the day, it is about what the clients want. Even though you have the extensive knowledge, give them all the options while leading them towards the right choice in a way that they still feel in charge.
This may be a competitive field, but as you continue to put in the work, it will slowly become easier for you.